The spectacular Coastal Pacific travels over 200 miles along the east coast of New Zealand’s scenic south island between Picton and Christchurch passing through vineyards, dramatic coastal scenery and unique wildlife attractions.
The Coastal Pacific leaves just 200 metres from the terminal of the Interislander ferry at Picton and travels through the rolling vineyards of the renowned Marlborough region. With over 30 cellar doors in the near vicinity, stopping off at Blenheim is a popular option for lovers of the renowned world famous Sauvignon Blancs produced here.
The train climbs up out of Blenheim with views of snow-capped mountains in the distance skirting Lake Grassmere on its way down to the ocean. You’re then almost within touching distance of the sea for nearly 100km passing by beaches, cliffs and headlands as you head into Kaikoura, the whale watching capital of New Zealand.
You can often spot seals from the train as you continue along the east coast until finally the train cuts inland through rolling green hills to Christchurch.
Life on Board
The Coastal Pacific carriages are comfortable with air conditioning and panoramic windows. There is also a cafe-bar serving drinks and light snacks and a full length open air viewing car.
New carriages being introduced this year will feature un-tinted, non-reflective, panoramic side and roof windows and a journey commentary at your seat via passenger headphones, plus information displays and overhead HD video.
Speak to a Travel Expert
We believe booking online is no substitute for one-on-one service. Between them our expert travel consultants have travelled to over 96% of the world's countries. As a result the service and advice they offer is second to none.
YOUR TRAVEL PLANS ALWAYS TO HAND, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME - YOUR ESSENTIAL TRAVEL COMPANION
Our free Viewtrail App stores your essential travel information in one secure place, ensuring we are with you from start to finish.
- View your travel plans on or offline, wherever and whenever you wish
- Live flight notifications - real time information as you travel
- Online check-in links and pre-tour notifications
- Luggage allowance
- Mapped places of interest - restaurants, shops, stations...plus route guidance back to your hotel
- View e-vouchers and export them to your Apple wallet
- Secure access to booking history, profile and insurance contact information
- One touch emergency contact 365/24/7
- Add to calendar function
- Countdown to travel
- Local time, weather, translator and exchange rate calculator