Journey from Christchurch to Greymouth via the Arthur’s Pass National Park aboard the spectacular TranzAlpine. From the picturesque Canterbury Plains to the towering peaks of the Southern Alps and on to the untamed natural wilderness of the west coast, this is one of the world’s most scenic rail journeys.
Experience the full breadth of the South Island’s striking natural landscape on this stunning inland rail journey. Between Christchurch and Greymouth, the TranzAlpine crosses fertile plains and towering viaducts as its route follows the ice-fed Waimakariri River through mighty gorges and river valleys. As the train climbs into the Southern Alps, at every turn you will be treated to spectacular vistas of aweinspiring alpine landscapes and braided river valleys from the comfort of your seat.
Continue through Arthur’s Pass National Park and descend into the west coast’s subtropical native beech rainforest, passing the shores of beautiful Lake Brunner en route to your journey’s end in coastal Greymouth.
Life on Board
All carriages have reclining seats, headphone sockets to listen to the onboard commentary, panoramic windows and also a unique open air viewing area so you won’t miss a thing! The journey takes approx 4½hrs one way and you can choose to return to Christchurch the same day or continue your tour of New Zealand from Greymouth. The journey is also available in the opposite direction.
Recommended Rail Holidays
Speak to a Travel Expert
We believe booking online is no substitute for one-on-one service. Between them our expert travel consultants have travelled to over 96% of the world's countries. As a result the service and advice they offer is second to none.
YOUR TRAVEL PLANS ALWAYS TO HAND, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME - YOUR ESSENTIAL TRAVEL COMPANION
Our free Viewtrail App stores your essential travel information in one secure place, ensuring we are with you from start to finish.
- View your travel plans on or offline, wherever and whenever you wish
- Live flight notifications - real time information as you travel
- Online check-in links and pre-tour notifications
- Luggage allowance
- Mapped places of interest - restaurants, shops, stations...plus route guidance back to your hotel
- View e-vouchers and export them to your Apple wallet
- Secure access to booking history, profile and insurance contact information
- One touch emergency contact 365/24/7
- Add to calendar function
- Countdown to travel
- Local time, weather, translator and exchange rate calculator