One of the few remaining and certainly most dramatic sections of the old Guayaquil to Quito railway, the Nariz del Diablo, or Devil’s Nose, train takes its name from the sheer sided mountain that caused the construction engineers such a headache when the line was first constructed in 1895.
In a dramatic 45 minute journey the train descends over 800 metres slicing through the sheer sided valleys and mountains of the Ecuadorian Central Highlands, past traditional villages and zig-zagging down spectacular switchbacks over the Devils’ Nose itself.
There is a 45 minute stop at Sibambe where you can take a look at the charming museum detailing the train’s history, grab a coffee at a local café or enjoy a traditional dance performance by a local troupe. Reboarding the train you’ll get to savour the journey all over again as you climb back up to Alausi.
Just off the Pan American Highway the train makes a perfect stop between Ecuador’s famous Avenue of Volcanoes and the colonial charms of Cuenca.
Talk to your Trailfinders Travel Consultant about adding a journey on the train to your Ecuador holiday
Speak to a Travel Expert
We believe booking online is no substitute for one-on-one service. Between them our expert travel consultants have travelled to over 96% of the world's countries. As a result the service and advice they offer is second to none.
Our travel centres are currently closed
Our phone lines are open at the following times:-
Monday to Friday: 8am - 8pm (UK) : 9am-7pm (ROI)
Saturday & Bank Holidays: 9am - 6pm
Sunday: 10am - 6pm
For individual opening times please check your local travel centre
YOUR TRAVEL PLANS ALWAYS TO HAND, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME - YOUR ESSENTIAL TRAVEL COMPANION
Our free Viewtrail App stores your essential travel information in one secure place, ensuring we are with you from start to finish.
- View your travel plans on or offline, wherever and whenever you wish
- Live flight notifications - real time information as you travel
- Online check-in links and pre-tour notifications
- Luggage allowance
- Mapped places of interest - restaurants, shops, stations...plus route guidance back to your hotel
- View e-vouchers and export them to your Apple wallet
- Secure access to booking history, profile and insurance contact information
- One touch emergency contact 365/24/7
- Add to calendar function
- Countdown to travel
- Local time, weather, translator and exchange rate calculator